mandag den 30. april 2012

Bread


Over the past few years my hubby and I have increasingly been buying and eating organic groceries, and we are now at the point where everything we eat in the house is organic. It is more expensive to eat organic but I find that the more I learn about food production the more I feel I can't afford not to buy organic. It means that we can't afford to eat meat more than once a week, but we are getting good at eating pulses and grains instead and also fish.

 The only time I feel that eating organic is not practical is when it comes to bread. Here in Copenhagen there is a bakery on every street corner and most places have good bread, but only one or two places make organic and we don't live near any of them. Most supermarkets sell some kind of organic bread but surprisingly some still put e-numbers in the bread and supermarket bread is usually dull and soft, even organic ones.

 Recently I started baking bread every other day and it has solved my bread problem. I was daunted by the idea of having to knead the dough for ages but I have found that you can make delicious bread without it as long as you make the dough wet. Here is the recipe for my buns. I mix the dough before I go to sleep and then leave them in the fridge overnight, and bake them when I wake up, so that I can have freshly baked bread for breakfast.

 25 gr. fresh yeast ( can be replaced with dry)
 2 tbsp vegetable oil
 1 tsp salt 
200 ml of lukewarm water 
100 gr of seeds ( can be hemp, sunflower... etc) 
200 gr of flour ( I usually use fine wheat flour) 
100 gr of wholewheat flour ( I use Spelt flour) 

 Dissolve the yeast in the water and add oil and salt. Add seeds and flours and mix it lightly together. The dough should be sticky and slightly wet but able to stay together. Leave overnight in fridge. Use a tbsp to spoon the buns out on baking tray and leave in preheated oven for ten min. or until they sound hollow when tapped on the back with finger.

Ingen kommentarer: